Dear Washington Lawmakers,
Thank you for your leadership and tireless work the past two years of the COVID-19 pandemic. As you plan for our state's future, we are writing to urge you to support a budget that strengthens Washington State’s care infrastructure. Specifically, we urge you to support the following:
- EARLY LEARNING: Fully fund the Fair Start for Kids Act, including expansions slated for 2023 that will require additional funding. Honor and value the work of early childhood educators and caregivers with state-funded compensation, including benefits, for providers across the childcare community.
- GETTING CASH TO FAMILIES WITH THE WFTC & GBI: Make the newly launched WFTC more accessible to families with administrative changes and get more cash to families and communities with an expanded credit and a GBI pilot.
- PAID FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE: Strengthen Washington's paid leave program with new resources for community outreach, multilingual application processes, and new financial management practices to ensure the future of the program.
- UNEMPLOYMENT INSURANCE FOR CAREGIVERS: Fix outdated unemployment insurance laws that penalize working parents who lose their jobs because they lost child care.
- TAX JUSTICE: Pass a first-of-its-kind wealth tax on Washington's wealthiest families to generate new resources that can fund community needs like early learning, K-12, health care affordability, and more.
Our state has made great progress in creating a one-of-a-kind care infrastructure from the ground up. Let’s make sure it is as accessible as it can be and that it can reach as many people as it can for many years to come. Thank you again for your leadership and for all that you do.