Dear Member of Congress:
As one of over a million members of MomsRising, I am writing to ask you to support a critical piece of legislation that will help end the crisis of Black moms dying at disparate rates across the country from preventable, pregnancy-related complications.
The United States is currently the most dangerous place to give birth in the developed world, with major racial disparities where Black women lose their lives at 3 to 4 times the rate of white women due to maternity-related causes, independent of age, economic background, or education, a fact that has done unchanged for several decades.
This is where the Congressional Black Maternal Health Caucus’s Momnibus Act will make a difference. It is the most comprehensive legislative effort yet to address the crisis of Black maternal mortality in the U.S. and will build on existing legislation in Congress to address every dimension of America’s maternal health crisis.
This packet is composed of nine individual bills sponsored by members of the Black Maternal Health Caucus and Senator Kamala Harris. The legislation will take historic steps forward to:
- Make critical investments in social determinants of health that influence maternal health outcomes, like housing, transportation, and nutrition;
- Provide funding to community-based organizations that are working to improve maternal health outcomes, particularly for Black women;
- Comprehensively study the unique maternal health risks facing women veterans and invest in VA maternity care coordination;
- Grow and diversify the perinatal workforce to ensure that every mom in America receives maternity care and support from people she can trust;
- Improve data collection processes and quality measures to better understand the causes of the maternal health crisis in the United States and inform solutions to address it;
- Invest in maternal mental health care and substance use disorder treatments;
- Improve maternal health care and support for incarcerated women;
- Invest in digital tools like telehealth to improve maternal health outcomes in underserved areas;
- Promote innovative payment models to incentivize high-quality maternity care and continuity of health insurance coverage from pregnancy through labor and delivery and up to 1 year postpartum.
We want moms to go home with their babies and watch their children and families thrive. Too many families and communities have already born the brunt of needlessly losing moms to preventable causes. We urge you to support The Black Maternal Health Momnibus Act of 2020 to comprehensively address our nation's Black maternal health crisis and save moms.