Dear Member of Congress,
I am a U.S. taxpayer, and I am opposed to President Trump’s and the GOP’s plan to give huge tax breaks to millionaires and wealthy corporations, which will be paid for by cutting Medicaid, Medicare, SNAP, and education programs and many other critical public services. Half of the Trump tax cuts will go to the richest 1%, while big corporations holding profits offshore get a huge tax cut. Instead, we need real tax policies that make sure the wealthy and big corporations pay their fair share and working families can benefit equally from our tax system and economy.
Any tax and budget plans you support must meet the following principles:
- Health care, nutrition, education and services that protect the most vulnerable must not be put at risk of cuts. Congress must raise the revenue needed to fund investments that create millions of new jobs rebuilding roads and bridges, educating our children, expanding health care, researching new medical cures, and ensuring a secure retirement for seniors.
- The wealthy and big corporations must be required to pay their fair share of taxes. They must not get one penny in new tax cuts.
- Strengthen working family tax credits so our families can better contribute to our national economy. This includes expanding and strengthening the Child Tax Credit (CTC), Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), and Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit (CDCTC).
- Tax breaks that encourage multinational corporations to shift jobs and profits offshore must be eliminated. Corporations should pay the $750 billion they owe on their $2.6 trillion in offshore profits.
- Congress must not use a fast-track, partisan process, known as reconciliation, to pass tax cuts for the wealthy and corporations that lose revenue. A tax plan should raise much more revenue, but at a minimum, it must be “revenue neutral.”