Dear Senator Hatch and all Members of Congress:
I am a U.S. taxpayer, and I am opposed to President Trump’s and the GOP’s plan to give huge tax breaks to millionaires and wealthy corporations, which will be paid for by cutting Medicaid, Medicare, SNAP, and education programs and many other critical public services. Half of the Trump tax cuts will go to the richest 1%, while big corporations holding profits offshore get a huge tax cut. Instead, we need real tax reform to make sure the wealthy and big corporations pay their fair share and working families can benefit equally from our tax system and economy.
Here are our tax principles that we urge Congress to act on:
- No more tax cuts for the wealthy and big corporations. They should pay their fair share of taxes―a lot more than they pay now.
- Invest those tax dollars in our country’s future―in public roads and transit systems; quality and affordable early childhood education; public schools and higher education; researching new medical cures; and ensuring a secure retirement for all of us by strengthening Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid.
- Eliminate all tax breaks that encourage multinational corporations to shift jobs and profits offshore.
- Require corporations pay the $750 billion they owe on their $2.6 trillion in offshore profits. Use the funds to rebuild roads and bridges, improve schools and create millions of good-paying jobs.
- Strengthen working family tax credits so our families can better contribute to our national economy, this includes expanding and strengthening the Child Tax Credit (CTC), Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), and Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit (CDCTC).