Dear Beacon Hub Leader,
Thank you for joining the volunteer 2023 Beacon Hub Leaders program! This program is a higher-level leadership development program as well as a national network of volunteer leaders bringing civic engagement to their communities and working together to build a nation where everyone can thrive. Participants of this program (known as “Beacon Hub Leaders”) commit to leveraging the skills, knowledge and experience you gained as a 2022 MomsRising Beacon or Fellow into expanding your advocacy work. Drawing from your higher-level organizing skills, you agree to take advocacy actions that align with MomsRising’s mission and work with MomsRising to grow the MomsRising movement in your communities.
In order to defray expenses associated with your community engagement, you have access to a reimbursement stipend of $50/month for 10 months in connection with this program. This letter outlines your rights and responsibilities as a Beacon Hub Leader and as a stipend recipient. Please read the contents of this page carefully. When you complete the form on the right, you indicate your acceptance of the terms and conditions described on this page, including for the stipend. If you use the stipend funds in a way that is not consistent with the terms of this letter, MomsRising may be required under federal tax law to seek return of the stipend funds.
The stipend is awarded to cover up to $50 per month of expenses (for 10 months) that you incur as a direct result of your community engagement activities, including transportation, meals, technology- and communications-related expenses, and physical supplies such as paper, tape, and pens.
The stipend may not be used to cover any of the following expenses:
- Contributions to political committees, including campaign committees, independent “SuperPACs,” or ballot measure committees
- Activities that are intended to support or oppose a specific candidate for any public office, in contrast with MomsRising’s mission of promoting civic engagement
- Lobbying or other activities designed to influence legislation
- Alcoholic beverages, tobacco products, cannabis products, or controlled substances
- Personal expenses not incurred directly in the course of civic engagement activities
MomsRising will not ordinarily require reporting of the expenses covered by the stipend. If MomsRising has any reason to believe that stipend funds have been used improperly, MomsRising may request a detailed report on the use of stipend funds. MomsRising will request the return of any stipend funds that are not used consistently with the terms of this letter.
In order to participate in this program, as well as be eligible to receive stipend funds, you agree and represent that:
- You are not subject to any legal proceeding or order that would require you to use stipend funds for a purpose other than the purposes described in this letter.
- You will demonstrate you are a committed and active member of this program by participating in the program's orientation meeting. You will also participate in monthly online member meetings, missing no more than three meetings over the course of this program. In the event you cannot join the minimum number of member meetings, you will either 1) send an email update, or 2) schedule a one-on-one phone call with a member of MomsRising's National Member Engagement Team.
- You will demonstrate you are a committed and active member of this program by performing at minimum one MomsRising-approved community-based action every two months.
- You may take other MomsRising community-based actions outside the purview of this program, for which you will not be eligible for stipends.
- You agree that any personal information that is obtained or shared by MomsRising about our members (home address, phone numbers, email addresses, etc.) should be held in the strictest confidence, and used only for MomsRising project purposes and for no other reason, and should not be retained when the program period is over.
- You will respond to any request for information from MomsRising by email, telephone, or other written or oral communication within three business days of such request.
- You will update MomsRising with any changes to your personal information, including your legal name, address, or other contact information, within seven business days of any such change. MomsRising is not responsible for the completeness or accuracy of any of the information you provide.
- You will return to MomsRising any stipend funds that are not used for expenses as described in this letter.
All notices or reports under this Agreement shall be directed as follows:
Julia Tucker, Director of Finance, MomsRising
You should be aware that any part of the stipend that is not used for the purposes set out in this letter and not returned to MomsRising may be taxable income to you and should be reported on your federal income tax return (Form 1040 or Form 1040EZ) if you are required to file one.
The terms of this award letter shall be governed by and interpreted in accordance with the laws of the State of Washington.
MomsRising looks forward to working with you. Please contact MomsRising if you have any questions.
Executive Director/CEO, MomsRising