Dear Member of Congress,
The Families First Coronavirus Response Act is smart legislation that will make a huge difference for our families and should be passed immediately. It puts resources and supports where they are needed most and pays particular attention to the needs of families that are low-income, workers in low-wage, part-time, service-sector jobs, and people who are especially vulnerable due to compromised health or pre-existing conditions. It can help mitigate the damage the pandemic would otherwise cause to working families, at-risk communities, businesses, and our economy. In particular, America’s moms highly support provisions that will provide:
- Free coronavirus testing for everyone who needs a test, including those without health coverage and increased funds for tests;
- Paid emergency leave with both 14 days of paid sick days and up to three months of paid family and medical leave;
- Strong food security initiatives, making sure SNAP, WIC, student meals, meals in childcare settings, seniors’ nutrition, meals for people with disabilities, and food banks are ready to help those who would otherwise go hungry;
- Badly needed, increased federal funds for Medicaid.
- Necessary funding for states to prepare for increased Unemployment Insurance caseloads;
This is the type of action we expect our leaders to take during a crisis of this proportion. Please pass the Families First Coronavirus Response Act immediately!