Department of Homeland Security, ICE, governors, mayors, and sheriffs:
MomsRising is sending a letter to every governor, ICE, and DHS with the following recommendations:
- Using all available powers, including the powers of clemency, furlough, parole and compassionate release, dramatically reduce the prison and/or jail populations. Release everyone who isn’t a risk to public safety.
- Working with local officials, advocate the maximum reduction in jail admissions.
- Working with local officials, advocate that local officials release the vast majority of individuals who are currently incarcerated in jails.
- For those individuals who are released on probation and parole, modify supervision practices so as to support family bonds and health-related exigencies.
- For those individuals who remain incarcerated, ensure proper hygiene and access to medical care.
- For those individuals who remain incarcerated, facilitate communications home.
- For everyone who has incurred debt and/or debt-related penalties, end the financial hardship associated with these debts and penalties.
- For immigrants in detention, we urge the Department of Homeland Security and ICE to take immediate action to suspend ALL immigration enforcement activities and operations --DHS must suspend deportations, immigration arrests, mass raids, detentions and enforcement in sensitive locations, provide Free COVID-19 testing, treatment, and services for ALL, regardless of immigration status, and guarantee safe conditions and provide healthcare, testing and support to protect those in detention and prisons.
- Commit to end the use of private prisons. No companies should profit from the pain and suffering of incarcerated people, especially in the face of the coronavirus.
Everyone is at risk, and we have a moral obligation to ensure that our most vulnerable – the elderly, the sick, those without medical care, and those unable to protect themselves from the virus – get the help that they need.
Join us in fighting for those whose voices we can’t hear!