Immigration policy reform is moving quickly through Congress. There could be a vote in the next 48 hours. Unfortunately, it's looking like immigration policy reform is moving so fast that women and children -- who comprise more than 50% of those impacted by the bill -- may be left out. It's time for us to make our voices heard!
When you fill out the form to the right, you'll join us in telling Congress to support immigration policy reform amendments that value the contributions of women and moms, protects our children, and treats us fairly, including:
- Blumenthal-Murkowski Amendment #1636: The “Little Dreamers” Amendment, to ensure that the youngest children are not excluded from the DREAM Act’s expedited path to citizenship simply because they are too young to meet certain requirements.
- Hirono-Murray-Murkowski Amendment #1718: Ensure that the proposed merit-based system does not disadvantage women who may come from countries where education and employment are not easily available to them.
- Murray- Crapo Amendment #1368: Limit shackling of pregnant women in detention.
- Cardin Amendment #1294: Add community service to the list of eligible kinds of employment that would qualify for permanent status. Having this alternative recognizes that many women do tremendous community service at their children's schools and in their communities, contributing every day.
- Murray Amendment #1412 and #1414: Provide important provisions for victims of domestic violence, including ensuring judicial review of VAWA cases and helping survivors of violence access the safety net. Provide protections to domestic violence survivors with visa-types not currently covered by VAWA or other laws.
We also need our members of Congress to oppose any bad amendments that will weaken the bill for women and families.
*Time is short. Don't forget to fill out the form to the right today.