Moms, caregivers, and families are rising in support of the Essential Workers Bill of Rights to be part of the next COVID-19 response package. This bill of rights, proposed by Senator Warren and Representative Khanna, is imperative as our nation navigates the COVID-19 pandemic. Essential workers are providing lifesaving critical work across our country, but many are going to work in unsafe conditions, aren't being given protective equipment or supplies, can't speak out without losing their jobs and healthcare, and are bringing home poverty-level wages.
This is unacceptable. That is why we are writing you to demand that the Essential Workers Bill of Rights be included in the next COVID-19 package. Specifically, we are asking for the following components to be included in an Essential Bill of Rights:
- Health and safety protections for frontline employees, including contractors and subcontractors.
- Robust premium compensation for essential workers on top of a living wage.
- Protections for collective bargaining agreements.
- Truly universal and permanent paid sick leave and family and medical leave by passing Senator Murray's PAID Leave Act.
- Protections for whistleblowers who witness unsafe conditions on the job or know about workplace coronavirus exposure.
- An end to worker misclassification to ensure workers have access to the full suite of resources and protections available to employees.
- Health care security using public programs like Medicaid and federally-subsidized COBRA coverage.
- Support for child care workers and providers.
- Treat workers as experts and engage their expertise in crafting policy and guidance responses.
- Hold corporations accountable for meeting their responsibilities, especially those who have received federal subsidies.
Thank you for all that you're doing to help our nation navigate this crisis!