On behalf of MomsRising, thank you for your service in the Washington State Legislature! As you plan for our state's future, I am writing to urge you to champion issues that are top of mind for working families this legislative session: early learning and child care, family economic security, access to paid family and medical leave, and more.
The policies and investments below, taken together, weave a powerful care infrastructure that can carry Washington families through recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic and into a more vibrant and thriving future.
- Early Learning: Expand investments in child care and early learning to fully meet the promises of the Fair Start for Kids Act. Honor and value the work of early childhood educators and caregivers with state-funded compensation, including benefits, for providers across the childcare community.
- Family Economic Security: Ensure the newly launched Working Families Tax Credit is accessible to all qualifying families with administrative changes and strengthen the economic security of families across the state with an expanded WFTC and a new Guaranteed Basic Income pilot.
- Paid Family and Medical Leave: Strengthen Washington's paid leave program with new resources for community outreach, multilingual application processes, and new rate-setting practices to ensure the future of the program.
- Unemployment Insurance for Caregivers: Fix the caregiver penalty in unemployment insurance to keep working parents and caregivers afloat and in the workforce.
- Tax Justice: Pass a first-of-its-kind wealth tax on Washington's wealthiest families to generate new resources that can fund community needs like early learning, K-12, health care affordability, and more.
Thank you again for your leadership and for all that you do.